The BA in English at OSU requires 40 hours of general education courses, 54 hours within the major, and 10 hours of elective coursework. Four paths are available for the major coursework:
- The Literature (general English) option provides an overview of British and American literary history plus the opportunity to study English and world literatures through a variety of thematic, historical, cultural, interdisciplinary, and theoretical approaches.
- The Creative Writing option focuses on the vital relationship between the literary acts of fictional and poetic composition and the larger literary tradition of our language. Students select a concentration in either poetry or fiction writing.
- The Professional Writing & Rhetoric option focuses on how writing, language, and text function in today’s increasingly complex print and electronic environments. Coursework ensures a sophisticated understanding of audience, textual structure, and style and cultivates advanced composing abilities to create, manage, and display information dynamically in professional settings.
- The Screen Studies option focuses on the study of the history, theory, and aesthetics of cinema as well as its cultural and political impact.
- The Pre-Law option focuses on the study of literary history, linguistics, and a selection of diverse electives to help build critical thinking, reading, communication, and research skills necessary for success in law school and beyond.
Degree requirements are provided by the Office of the Registrar and reflect the current academic year. For previous years, please consult the Registrar's catalog archive.
The English Department strives to provide a personally meaningful experience for its majors. To this end, course enrollments are small, seldom exceeding 25 in number, and classes are interactive. You will find that teachers are accesible and helpful.
A full-time advisor is also available for personal assistance. We think you will find our home in Morrill Hall a friendly place.
For more information:
Clarissa Bonner, Undergraduate Advisor
209 Morrill Hall
Department of English
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078