Address: Morrill 410
PhD, Michigan State University (Second Language Studies)
Areas of Interest/Expertise/Research
- TESOL/Applied Linguistics
- ENGL 5123 - Approaches to Language Acquisition
- ENGL 5243 - TESL
- ENGL 4013 - English Grammar
- ENGL 4043 - TESOL
- ENGL 4083 - Applied Linguistics
Crowther, D., & Gass, S. (in press). Speaking. In J.W. Schwieter & A. Benati (Eds.). The Cambridge handbook of language learning. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Crowther, D. (in press). Language investment during university adjustment: The divergent path of two Chinese freshmen. Journal of Language, Identity, and Education.
Crowther, D., Trofimovich, P., Saito, K., & Isaacs, T. (2018). Linguistic dimensions of L2 accentedness and comprehensibility vary across speaking tasks. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 40(2), 443-457.
De Costa, P. I., & Crowther, D. (2018). SLA and World Englishes: Establishing a dialogue and common reserve. World Englishes, 37, 19-33.
Crowther, D., & De Costa, P. I. (2017). Developing mutual intelligibility and conviviality in the 21st century classroom: Insights from English as a lingua franca and intercultural communication. TESOL Quarterly, 51(2), 450-460.
Selected Conference Presentations
Crowther, D. (2019, March). Rating L2 Speaker Comprehensibility on Monologic Versus Interactive Tasks: What is the Effect of Speaking Task Type? Paper to be presented at the annual American Association for Applied Linguistics conference, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
Crowther, D., De Costa, P. I., & Maloney, J. (2019, March). Pedagogical Inquiry in English as an International Language: A Synthesis. Paper to be presented at the TESOL 2019 International Convention & English Language Expo, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
Loewen, S., Crowther, D., & Miller, Z. F. (2019, February). Mobile-assisted language learning on Duolingo: A Turkish case study. Paper to be presented at the International Conference MOBILLE, New York, New York, USA.
Crowther, D., Loewen, S., Gonulal, T., & Tigchelaar, M. (2018, May). Measuring statistical literacy: The case of second language acquisition and applied linguistics researchers. Paper presented at the conference of Research Methodology in the Field of Second Language Acquisition and Learning, Montpellier, France.
Crowther, D. (2017, May). Language investment during university adjustment: The divergent path of two Chinese freshmen. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Editor for Research Dissemination (TESOL Quarterly)
- The effect of task on second language speech intelligibility.
- A synthesis of World Englishes-based pedagogical inquiry and implications for L2 acquisition theory.
- An investigation into the academic and social adjustments of L2 English international students at an English-medium university.
- A longitudinal look into the dynamic nature of language development at a US military academy. Collaborator: Dr. Z. F. Miller.