Address: 207 Morrill Hall
Director of Literature
Coordinator of English Honors
PhD, Vanderbilt University
Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Foxes in art and literature
- Dogs in all walks of life
Recent Upper Division & Graduate Courses Taught
- The Nuclear Bomb in the Land of Enchantment
- Scary Novels
- The Best Romantic Poetry
Whose Dog are You? Michigan State University Press, 2017.
"Biting the Philosopher's Hand," World Picture 11 (2016).
Fox. London: Reaktion, 2006.
"Lord Egremont's Dogs: The Cynosure of Turner's Petworth Landscapes," ELH 73 (2006) 855-883.
City of Health, Fields of Disease: Revolution in the Poetry, Philosophy, and Medicine of Romanticism. Ashgate, 2004.
Honors & Offices
- Regents Distinguished Research Award, 2008.
- John H. Daniels Fellow, National Sporting Library, 2007.
- Visiting Fellow, Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, 2000.
Current Research & Projects
Current research focuses on the legends, science, cryptozoology, and art of squids, marine monsters, and bathic nightmares.