Address: Morrill 112
BA in English in Intercultural Studies, Oklahoma Wesleyan University
MA in English with an option in TESL, Oklahoma State University
Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Sociolinguistics, ethnolexicography, linguistic diversity and discrimination
- ENGL 4093/AMST 4910 – Language in America
- ENGL 4013 – English Grammar
- ENGL 4893 - Research Writing for International Graduate Students
- ENGL 0003 – Academic English for International Graduate Students (Traditional, Hybrid, and Online)
- ENGL 1223 – International Freshman Composition II
- ENGL 1123 - International Freshman Composition I
Horton, HN. (forthcoming). “If we don't teach them, who will?” Standard Language Ideology and the University English Classroom. In G. Clements and E. Canon (eds.), Linguistic Discrimination in Academia. New York, NY: Routledge.
Horton, HN, Zhao, Y. (2020). Using outside material and avoiding plagiarism. In C. Moder (ed.), University Academic Writing for International Students: A Usage-based Approach. Stillwater, OK: Oklahoma State University Library ePress.
Horton, HN, Sims, P. (2020). Writing summaries. In C. Moder (ed.), University Academic Writing for International Students: A Usage-based Approach. Stillwater, OK: Oklahoma State University Library ePress.
Horton, HN. (2017). Linguistic discrimination on campus: Ratings of and attitudes toward student writing with African-American English. Proceedings of the Linguistic Society of America 2(5), 1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.3765/plsa.v2i0.4041.
Horton, HN. (2019, March). “If we don’t teach them, who will?” Standard Language Ideology and the university classroom. Paper presented at the Georgetown University Roundtable in Linguistics, Washington DC.
Horton, HN. (2019, January). “To describe it to a non-skater”: Skater identity and performance in the sociolinguistic interview. Poster presented at the 2019 American Dialect Society Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
Horton, HN. (2017, November). “Screw the rules”: The performance of authenticity through nonconformity by a skate mag editor. Paper presented at the Language and Linguistic Student Conference, Edmond, OK.
Horton, HN. (2017, January). Linguistic discrimination on campus: ratings of and attitudes toward student writing with African-American English. Poster presented at the Linguistic Society of America 91st Annual Meeting, Austin, TX.
Horton, HN. (2014, November). “The glad acceptance of sacrificial responsibility”: defining manhood and accountability in a Christian Men’s Group. Paper presented at the Language and Linguistics Student Conference, Edmond, OK.
Horton, HN. (2014, October). Teaching hypothetical conditionals for argumentative writing in an L2 classroom. Paper presented at OKTESOL, Stillwater, OK.
Horton, HN. (2014, March). Conveying academic expectations in the writing center: The not-so-black-and-white negotiation of “Standard American English.” Paper presented at the South Central Writing Center Association Conference, Stillwater, OK.
Awards and Recognition
English Department, Oklahoma State University
- Clinton C. Keeler Fellowship in English, March 2019
- Dr. Ravi Sheory Travel Award for Research in TESL/Linguistics, January 2017
American Dialect Society
- Honorary Presidential Membership, January 2019
Graduate College, Oklahoma State University
- Graduate College Summer Research Fellowship, Summer 2017
Language and Linguistics Student Conference, Edmond, OK
- Dr. Amy Carrell Outstanding Achievement Award for “Linguistic Discrimination on Campus: Ratings of and Attitudes Toward Student Writing with African-American English," Fall 2016
Phi Kappa Phi honor society
- Member, Oklahoma State University, Inducted Spring 2015
- Recipient, Love of Learning Award, Summer 2016
Current Research/Articles in Progress
- Primary Investigator – Addressing Linguistic Discrimination on Campus
- Primary Investigator – Research Into the Language of Skateboarding (RaILS)
- Research Assistant – Wrangler online tool for teaching research writing
- Research Assistant – Research on Dialects of English in Oklahoma (RODEO)