Address: M 104A
PhD, Ohio University
Area of Interest & Expertise
- John Milton and the English Civil War
- 17th-Century British Literature
- Archival records of the English church, state, and parish
- Diplomatic correspondence of the Commonwealth and Protectorate
Recent Upper Division and Graduate Courses
- Shakespeare: Performance, Publication, and Appropriation
- Book History and Four Famous Renaissance Texts
- Milton and the Restoration: Literature, Politics, Culture
- Classical Mythology
- The Bible as Literature
- A Concise Companion to the Study of Manuscripts, Printed Books, and the Production of Early Modern Texts: A Festschrift for Gordon Campbell. Ed. Edward Jones. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2015.
- "The Itinerant Sibling: Christopher Milton in London and Suffolk." A Concise Companion to the Study of Manuscripts, Printed Books, and the Production of Early Modern Texts: A Festschrift for Gordon Campbell. Ed. Edward Jones. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2015. 87-105.
- Young Milton: The Emerging Author: 1620-1642. Ed. Edward Jones. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2013.
- "The Archival Landscape of Milton's Youth, University Years, and Pre-London Residencies." Young Milton: The Emerging Author, 1620-1642. Ed. Edward Jones. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2013. 3-20.
- "Aldersgate Street," "Chalfont St Giles," "Eton," "Thomas Gataker," "Edward Goodall," "John Hales," "Hammersmith." The Milton Encyclopedia. Ed. Thomas Corns. New Haven, CT: Yale UP, 2012.
- Regents Professor, Oklahoma State University, 2014
- Elected Member, Northeast Milton Seminar, 2011-
- Professor, Oklahoma State University, 2010
- Member (OSU Representative), Newberry Library Consortium Committee, 2010-
- Visiting Research Fellow, New College, Oxford, 2010
- Member, Programme Committee, International Milton Symposia, 2005-
- Editor, Milton Quarterly, 2005-
- President, Milton Society of America, 2005
- Vice President, Milton Society of America, 2004
- Senior Editor, Milton Quarterly, 2002-04
- Member, Executive Committee, Milton Society of America, 2001-03
- Regents Distinguished Research Award, Oklahoma State University, 2015
- Irene Samuel Memorial Award for the Most Distinguished Multi-author Collection on John Milton published in 2013, Milton Society of America, 2014
- English Department Internal Research Release, Oklahoma State University, 2014
- Joan Friedman Fellowship, University of Illinois, 2009
- Carly and Lily Pforzheimer Fellowship, Harry Ransom Center, 2009
- Phoenix Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching Excellence, Oklahoma State University, 2008
- English Graduate Student Faculty Award, Oklahoma State University, 2008
- Faculty and Staff Appreciation Award, Oklahoma State University, 2007
- Bibliographical Society of London, Madan Award, 2004
- Bibliographical Society of America, Fredson Bowers Award, 2004
- Faculty Mentor Award, Oklahoma State University, 2000
- President's Service Award, Oklahoma State University, 1999
- Regents Distinguished Teaching Award, Oklahoma State University, 1998
- A&S Outstanding Professor Award, Oklahoma State University, 1996
- A&S Outstanding Professor Award, Oklahoma State University, 1993
- Scholar Research Grant, Oklahoma Humanities Council, 2013
- Oklahoma State English Department Travel Grant to Collections, 2013
- Newberry Library Research Travel Grant, 2011
- A&S Travel Grant, Oklahoma State University, 2011
- Newberry Library Research Grant, 2010
Recent Conference or Invited Research Presentations
- "Evolving at what Cost? Scholarship in the Second Decade of the 21st Century." Modern Language Association Annual Convention. Austin, TX. January 2016.
- "Political Diplomacy, Personal Conviction, and the Fraught Nature of Milton's Letters of State." Conference on John Milton. Murfreesboror, TN. October 2015.
- "Miltons in Exeter." Eleventh International Milton Symposium. Exeter, England, July 2015.
- "Milton's Letters of State: Diplomatic Experience and Political Conviction." Renaissance Society of America Meeting. Berlin, Germany, March 2015.
- "Milton as Parishioner." (Invited Lecture) University of East Anglia, England, March 2015.
- "Milton and Parish Records." (Invited Lecture) University of Exeter, England, March 2015.
- "The Elusive Potential of Gregorio Leti's Collection of Milton's State Papers." British Milton Seminar. Birmingham, England, October 2014.
- "Milton and Marvell as Writers of Diplomatic Letters." (Plenary Speaker) The Marvell Society Annual Meeting. Tucson, AZ, April 2014.
- "Some Thoughts on the Milton Variorum." MLA Convention. Chicago, IL, 2014.
Current Research & Projects
- Milton and the Parish Chest: Documentary Evidence and the Biographical Enterprise
- Milton’s Letters of State, Volume 11, Oxford Complete Works of John Milton
- Paradise Lost, Books 7 and 8 for the Milton Variorum
- The Wiley John Milton Encyclopedia (3 vols), General Editor