04/06/2017 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
MOLLY BRODACK: blogging/publication/fellowship talk
04/06/2017 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
MOLLY BRODAK: Memoir and Poetry Reading
04/12/2017 4:00 pm - 5:15 pm
Shahriar Mirshahidi, PhD student in TESL
Address: 413 Morrill Hall
MATEFL Islamic Azad University, North Tehran, 2010
Areas of Interest & Expertise
- ITA Education and Assessment
- Oral Proficiency Issues
- Researching L2 Reading Strategies
- ESL Academic Writing/Feedback in EAP
- Simulation and Gaming
- Sociolinguistics (language attitudes)
- Saeli H., & Mirshahidi, S. (2013). Awarding admissions and scholarships. In G.B. Halleck (Ed.), English Composition Simulations. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Mirshahidi, S. (2016). "I find you attractive but I don't trust you: The case of language attitudes in Iran." Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. doi: 1080/01434632.2016.1178268.
- Rashtchi, M., & Mirshahidi, S. (2011). “How Do We Communicate to Student Writers in a Multiple-Draft class: An Experiment on University-Level Learners' Composition Writing” Iranian Journal of Applied Language Studies 3(1): 119-150.
- Rashtchi, M., & Mirshahidi, S. (2011). “Written Feedback: Still, a Strong Pedagogical Tool”. ROSHD Foreign Language Teaching Journal 25(4): 28-34. (Published by Bureau of Research and Planning, Iranian Ministry of Education).
- Mirshahidi, S., & Saeli, H. (2016, March). "Construct validation of ITA profiency using measures of complexity, accuracy, and fluency." Paper presented at Georgetown University Round Table on Language Assessment (GURT) conference, Washington, DC.
- Mirshahidi, S., & Saeli H. (2015, March). "While-reading strategies of NES vs. NNES graduate students: Perceptions and preferences." Paper presented at American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Mirshahidi, S. (2015, February). "Language regards: Investigating attitudes of the speakers of the standard Persian residing in the U.S. towards accented speech of non-Persian Iranians." Paper presented at UTASCILT 22, Arlington, TX.
- Saeli H., & Mirshahidi, S. (2013, March). "Construct validation of speaking proficiency in TOEFL iBT, IELTS, and the International Teaching Assistant (ITA) Test." Paper presented at Oklahoma State University Humanities Conference, Stillwater, OK.
- Mirshahidi, S., & Saeli H. (2013, February). "ESL vs. native speaker student writer's perception of form-focused feedback in the writing class: Does the source of feedback matter?" Paper presented at 10th TALGS Conference, Greenville, NC.
- Mirshahidi, S. (2011). "Written feedback: How to communicate with student writers." Paper presented at OKTESOL Conference, November 12, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Rashtchi, M., & Mirshahidi, S. (2010, December). "Communicating with ESL student writers through written feedback: An experiment on University-level EFL learners' compositions." Paper presented at The Malaysian International Conference on Academic Strategies in English Language Teaching, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Rashtchi, M., & Mirshahidi, S. (2010, December). "Diverse and Intelligible Written Feedback; An Experiment on University-Level EFL Learners' Compositions." Paper presented at My_CASELT Conference (The Malaysian International Conference on Academic Strategies in English Language Teaching), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Honors and Offices
- Assistant to the director, International Composition program, Oklahoma State University, 2016-present
- Senior rater, International Teaching Assistant (ITA) Profiency Test, Oklahoma State University ITA program, 2013-present
- President, TESL and Linguistics Club, Department of English, Oklahoma State University, 2013-2014
Current Research/Articles in Progress
- Mirshahidi, S. (2016). "Predicting international teaching assistants' success on a performance test: The case of CAF constructs and compensatory strategies." Manuscript in progress.
- Mirshahidi, S. & Saeli, H. (2016). "While-reading startegies of native vs. non-native English speaking graduate students." Manuscript in progress.