Gene B. Halleck
Director, TESL & Linguistics Program
Director, International Composition Program
PhD, Pennsylvania State University
Areas of Interest & Expertise
- Oral Proficiency Testing
- ITA Training
- Aviation English
- Simulation and Gaming
Recent Upper Division and Graduate Courses Taught
- Teaching the Four Skills
- Introduction to Graduate Studies (TESL)
- Seminar in TESL: Oral Proficiency
- Seminar in TESL: Material Adaptation & Development
- Social & Psychological Aspects of Language
- Categorization: Men, Kangaroos, and Rainbows
- Descriptive Linguistics
- TESL Methodology, SLA Theory
- Internship, TESL
- Seminar in TESL: Testing
- Seminar in Linguistics: Empirical Data Analysis
- Seminar in Linguistics: Variation Theory
- Testing Oral Language
- Seminar in Cross-Cultural Pragmatics
Halleck, G. B. (2007)."Data generation through role-play: Assessing oral proficiency." Simulation & Gaming: An interdisciplinary journal of theory, practice and research, 38, 91-106.
Halleck, G. B. & Connor, U. (2006). "Rhetorical moves in TESOL conference proposals." Journal of English for Academic Purposes 5, 70-86.
Moder, C. L. & Halleck, G. B. (2009). "Planes, politics and oral proficiency. "Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 32 (3), 25.1-25.16.
Recent Grants & Research Trips
- Supervised Internship for five MA students in the TESL/Linguistics program at Nankai University, Tianjin, People's Republic of China. May 2005.
- Invited Lecture: Adapting Simulations for use in ESL/EFL/EAP Courses at Gunma Prefecture Women's University, Tamamura, Japan. May 2005.
- Tianjin University of Science and Technology, Tianjin, People's Republic of China. Directed a two-week EFL internship for students in the TESL program. May 2004.
Recent Conference Presentations
"Can we get a little higher? Proficiency levels in aviation English." Language Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC), Cambridge 2010 (with C. L. Moder)
"Online role-play simulations: Fostering critical thinking and communicative skills in the EFL/ESL curriculum." International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED) Valencia, Spain. 2009. (with J. F. Coll-Garcia)
"Examining collaboration in Oral Proficiency Interviews." Language Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC), Denver, CO. 2009.
"Discourse Context, Complexity, and Task Variation in the ESP Assessment Language." Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC), Barcelona, Spain 2007 (with C. L. Moder)
"Planes, Politics & Oral Proficiency: Testing International Air Traffic Controllers." Language Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC), Melbourne, Australia 2006 (with C. L. Moder)
Works in Progress
Assessment Criteria for the Oral Proficiency Interview: An Analysis of Empirical Data.